I was almost too distaught to write an article after last Friday but decided we have to move on and look for gems in the rough. So there were a few Gems but a lot of Glooms. BioPharma Indexes are down almost 5 percent based on last weeks momentum downslide in the overall market. For just a taste of how bad it was ProShares UltraShort S&;P500 (ETF) (NYSE:SDS) was up 7.4% on shorting the market.
But lets take a look at some Top Performances last week.
1. Trubion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:TRBN) 45.2%
2. Icagen, Inc. (NASDAQ:ICGN) 18.8%
3. Penwest Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:PPCO) 18.1%
No real need to discuss this stock as it was bought out at 5.00 a share by Endo Pharmaceuticals and are settling litigation for OPANA ER generic productions
4. ZymoGenetics, Inc. (NASDAQ:ZGEN) 17.9%
5. Interleukin Genetics, Inc (AMEX:ILI) 16.7%
6. Columbia Laboratories Inc. (NASDAQ:CBRX) 10.2%
7. Biostar Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:BSPM) 9.7%
8. Jazz Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:JAZZ) 9.2%
FDA decision coming up August 20th but they were down heavily on Friday.
9. SCOLR Pharma Inc. (AMEX:DDD) 9.1%
10. DUSA Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:DUSA) 6.6%
11. China Pharma Holdings, Inc. (AMEX:CPHI) 6.5%
12. Sinovac Biotech Ltd. (NASDAQ:SVA) 6.4%
Sinovac was very strong last year as a Swine Flu Stock. They are a chinese vaccine maker.
I didn't see this one on the list but it did well last week too. Cumberland Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Public, NASDAQ:CPIX) up 5.4% alone on Friday.
Glaxo SmithKline (NYSE:GSK) had a very good week too with their joint approval with Biovail/Valeant Pharamceuticals. Glaxo is quickly approaching their 52-week high of 43.47 closing on Friday at 38.14 a 2.53% gain.
These are really good numbers for a select few and they are worth looking at. I know Jazz Pharma (Nasdaq: JAZZ) has an FDA decision coming up August 20th but they were down heavily on Friday. I have to do more research on the other companies listed to get a better grasp on these stocks upswings in an overall desolate and down week.
After looking through most of these a bit more it seems many are coming off 52-week lows or extreme deficits from earlier highs and could have a lot of room for growth. I know Jazz is a good bet for the rest of the Upcoming week. ZymoGenetics has been on my watchlist for awhile now. Keep your eyes on Zymo in the future and get ready for Jazz's FDA recommendation August 20th.